Thursday, July 9, 2009

I have called you by name

Recently, I have been re-reading Do What You Have the Power to Do by Helen Bruch Pearson. It is a study of six New Testament women and I think it is one of my favorite books. Several years ago, I led a retreat based on this book and it remains one of the favorite retreats that I have had the privilege to lead. The book truly challenged me to think about what I believe and then to take action on those beliefs. These empowering stories challenged me to step out and do what I had the power to do to address the wider issues of oppression in today's society.

Over the next several weeks, I would like to use this book as a basis for my weekly devotionals. I hope that you will find these stories to be as empowering as I did. I hope that reading about these women will be thought provoking and life changing for you. If you know someone who might like to share in this study, please pass this link along. I think these stories are significant and the more people with whom we can share them, the better.

Today, I would like to begin by sharing a meditation from the book that reminds us of just how precious we are to God. Beginning next week, we will look at these special women of the New Testament.

MEDITATION

Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
When you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.
...you are precious in my eyes,
and honored, and I love you.
Isaiah 43:1b-2, 4 (RSV)

The good news, proclaimed across the ever rolling streams of time through a thousand ages of space and echoed by an endless cloud of witnesses is this:

God has redeemed us.
God has called us each by name.
We belong to God.
We are precious in God's eyes.
God sees us and honors us.
And best of all,
God loves us!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Deborah,

    Consider to join us for A Wonderous Woman Retreat
    on August 13,14,and 15

    The Wonderous Woman retreat program leads and encourages every woman to connect to all facets of her purpose and value. Our approach is to create experiential retreats in beautiful venues where you can connect to your mind, body and spirit.

    It's easy to take care of everyone else in our lives, but we tend to forget about ourselves.

    ReplyDelete