Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Prayer for Discernment

This past week, I have tried to begin each day by surrendering myself to God and asking Him to heighten my senses that I may better hear Him speak to me throughout the day. I am learning to be patient and expectantly wait for Him to speak to me. Below is a prayer that I have been using to center myself each morning. It comes from A Book of Uncommon Prayer by Kenneth G. Phifer.

Almighty God, who has called and called
and whom I seldom hear,
Let my heart be open now and my spirit alert to your voice.
I know you understand
that it is not always out of sheer indifference
that I do not hear.
Your voice is still and small,
as a long ago prophet said,
and the other voices are so loud and demanding.
You never speak in thunder.
Your comings are not marked by the roll of drums
or the blast of trumpets.
I wish you would speak louder.
I wish your advents were plainer.
But you persist in speaking in quiet ways
and coming in a fashion
that makes it easy for me to ignore you.
Now I am listening.
Say something, O God, to me.
I am waiting.
Amen.

I would encourage each of you to begin your day with such a prayer. What is it that God is trying to reveal to you?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for those encouraging words...

    thechristianheir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gooooooooooooooood
    Thank you
    The subject of more than wonderful

    ReplyDelete